Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT)
July 5, 2021
Annual Giving Development Officer (Direct Response)
External Relations – Alumni & Development
APT Permanent Salary
SAIT is a global leader in applied education and an institution that empowers employees to make a difference in the lives of our students. Building on more than a century of history, we are looking for innovative employees wanting to create a future with us. As part of our team, you are encouraged to be bold and inventive, bringing new ideas to the table. Change excites you.
SAIT offers the chance to do work with a purpose — preparing the next generation of industry leaders, entrepreneurs, advocates and explorers. We develop leaders in the classroom and our workspaces, encouraging lifelong learning for both students and employees.
Your future starts now … at SAIT.
We are looking for individuals who align with our commitment to excellence and who demonstrates:
o a growth mindset through curiosity, creativity, and collaboration
o leads with a world-class customer experience mindset
o is dynamic and responsible to the needs of stakeholders, speed and agility are critical
o someone who embraces trial and error as an important part of learning
A student’s relationship with SAIT doesn’t end at convocation — we are proud of the life-long relationships we have with our alumni. The Alumni and Development department shares SAIT’s story, connects donors to incredible people, projects and experiences. SAIT is fortunate to receive financial support from our alumni family, industry and community at large. If you’re passionate about nurturing the connections between SAIT and our alumni family, we want to meet you.
The Annual Giving Development Officer develops, coordinates, and implements direct response campaigns and leads employee and student giving initiatives. The Annual Giving Officer is responsible for overseeing the donor engagement and outreach portfolio with a focus on three main areas:
•Direct Response – conducting integrated, personalized solicitation outreach to SAIT alumni and donors through direct mail, e-solicitations, texting campaigns, and other digital solicitation tools.
•Student Philanthropy and Crowdfunding – overseeing and promoting SAIT’s crowdfunding platform, recruiting and coaching champions to lead peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns, and collaborating with internal and external partners to grow student philanthropy on campus.
•Family Campaign – designing, coordinating and implementing a faculty and staff giving campaign.
In addition to the three priority areas, the Annual Giving Development Officer works in collaboration with the member of the Annual Giving team to support other fundraising initiatives, including Giving Day and Family Campaign, through direct response solicitation strategies. In addition to digital and print solicitations, this role participates in one-on-one fundraising activities and utilizes digital solicitation tools, like ThankView to secure, renew and steward annual giving donors.
These initiatives are critical to the overall success of the annual giving program and moving the overall development program forward in key areas. This role requires a person who is able to demonstrate the effectiveness and genuine warmth in contact with others, have a motivating personality, a positive attitude, and be at ease speaking with many people of various backgrounds. The Annual Giving Officer must understand the principles of alumni/donor relations and the importance of building relationships. They must have excellent written and verbal communication skills; be a motivated self-starter with strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines. Graphic and web-design skills are an asset to this position, along with experience using marketing automation tools to personalize donor experience. As part of a high-performing team that is tasked with multiple responsibilities, they must have the ability to translate plans into action and to meet objectives; and be able to work independently and as part of a team. This position collaborates with stakeholders across the Alumni & Development Department, as well as various schools, departments and internal partners.
This position reports to Manager, Annual Giving.
- Develop and implement personalized solicitation outreach to SAIT alumni and donors through direct mail, e-solicitations, texting campaigns, and other digital solicitation tools.
- Develop and execute segmentation strategies to maximize acquisition, renewal and retention rates.
- Develop persuasive language for annual giving appeals.
- In coordination with the Annual Giving team develop integrated materials to promote various giving opportunities and giving methods.
- Coordinate and collaborate on appropriate stewardship touch-points.
- Create online giving pages to receive support from donors.
- Monitor the effectiveness of implemented direct response appeals.
- Respond to donor inquiries by phone and email.
Student Philanthropy and Crowdfunding:
- Oversee and promote SAIT’s crowdfunding platform.
- Recruit and coach champions to lead peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to grow student philanthropy on campus.
- Actively seek opportunities to engage SAIT students in fundraising activities both as advocates and donors.
- Monitor the effectiveness of crowdfunding campaigns.
- Design, coordinate and implement a faculty and staff giving campaign.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to secure institutional buy-in and consistent messaging.
- Execute donor acquisition, renewal and retention initiatives, such as ShoutOut.
- Solicit employees for monthly gifts.
- Support employee champions in peer-to-peer fundraising initiatives through coaching and providing technological infrastructure to collect gifts.
- Monitor the results of the Family Campaign.
In collaboration with the Annual Giving team members, align solicitation strategies and support the success of institutional fundraising initiatives, including Giving Day, Recurring Giving and President’s Giving Circle. Participate in donor and stewardship events. Ensure that solicitation activity is appropriately recorded in the database.
Connect with alumni and donors via phone to foster engagement and present giving opportunities.
- Post-secondary education or diploma in Business, Marketing, Communications, Non-Profit Management of related field. Relevant experience in lieu of a formal credential will be considered.
- Technical certifications in graphic design is an asset.
- Must have 1-3 years’ of experience in fundraising, direct response, annual giving.
- Must have familiarity with fundraising database systems and spreadsheet applications.
- Must have experience in soliciting philanthropic gifts.
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s license is preferred.
- Previous post-secondary fundraising experience is preferred.
- Experience in coordinating and producing print and digital solicitation materials is an asset.
- Previous graphic design experience is an asset.
- Member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals in good standing is an asset.
- Excellent communication skills -written, verbal and virtual.
- Articulate and persuasive writing and editing skills.
- Creative approach to generating appeals and solving complex problems.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of people.
- Ability to work productively under pressure to meet many different deadlines.
- Flexibility, discretion, and ability to maintain confidential information.
- A strong ability to prioritize tasks, work independently and maintain consistently close attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and exceptional organizational skills.
- Understanding of Canada Revenue Agency guidelines for tax receipting of charitable gifts.
- Strong computer skills including working knowledge of Banner Database System, Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office, especially Excel.
- Knowledge of post-secondary culture and operating procedures is an asset.
Position Classification: Junior Development Officer
# of openings: 1
Posting close date: July 5, 2021
SAIT believes excellence is achieved through equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) because EDI creates the conditions for a healthy campus where everyone feels welcome, respected and empowered to succeed. SAIT values fairness, shared accountability and the importance of representation. The institution expects a commitment from its students and employees to continuously develop an equitable and inclusive mindset that celebrates diverse experiences and perspectives. SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or comments related to EDI at SAIT.
BEWARE FALSE POSTINGS AND RECRUITING OFFERS
The Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) has been made aware of individuals or organizations posing as SAIT using false SAIT postings to attract job seekers and collect personal information.
Please be aware that SAIT will never request information beyond what is required for a resume. SAIT will never ask for sensitive personal information such as birthdates, banking, social insurance or health care account information for our application process.
Career opportunities at SAIT will always be posted on the SAIT career site. If you are uncertain about the validity of a posting or offer, please forward the suspicious posting to firstname.lastname@example.org.