Employment Type: Half-time position to start, with an opportunity to increase to full-time hours based upon organizational growth
Salary Range: Competitive salary; Commensurate with experience, Base starting rate $20-25/hour
About Tails of Help
Tails of Help addresses vital needs in our community by providing qualifying low-income and vulnerable families and individuals in Alberta access to, and funding for, essential veterinary care. Companion animals have been proven vital to pet owners’ mental and physical health. Our mission is to relieve pet suffering, prolong their lives, and keep pets with their loving families, preserving the human-animal bond. Through our program many companion animals in Alberta that are ill or injured, and in need of veterinary treatment, receive medical care that otherwise may not be accessible for them.
Established in 2013 as a charitable organization, Tails of Help is directed and managed by Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA) professionals and public members. Our services and programs are delivered throughout Alberta and can be accessed easily by any veterinary practice to lessen the burden of these costs to people in need. The organization is dedicated not only to provide aid for Alberta pet owners facing financial hardship, but also to promote animal welfare through educating the public on the cost and responsibilities of pet ownership and care. To date, Tails of Help has helped over 1100 Alberta companion animals and families, with the support of countless partners and donors. Our vision is a future where companion animal health care is accessible to all.
Our values guide our conduct and decisions, and our focus is on those we serve and our stakeholders, as we strive for excellence with empathy, and compassion. Our team is built on passion and purpose, and we are committed to effective partnerships, and building our relationships through understanding, consideration, and respect.
This is a transformational time for Tails of Help, and the organization is poised for major growth, with several different operating components connected to our portfolio – each bringing unique opportunities and challenges to support our sustainable financial model: multiple fundraising programs, sponsorship, annual giving, and major gifts, a partnerships development program, an interactive community engagement and events program, a program delivery and awareness model, and a volunteer program.
Success for Tails of Help is when the entire organization works together to increase our reach and community impact, while having fun and learning along the way.
About the Fund Development Specialist Role
Reporting to, and working collaboratively with the Executive Director, the Fund Development Specialist is a self-motivated, entrepreneurial, strategic, and active leader who is comfortable with change and confident in their abilities to take the organization to the next level.
Responsible for leading all fundraising campaigns, events, and donor stewardship activities, the Fund Development Specialist plays an integral role in creating and implementing a meaningful fund development strategy and engagement plan to achieve significant revenue targets and annual objectives.
This is a part-time, year-round position, with schedule flexibility, dependent on timelines for current projects and events. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
The opportunity to progress to full-time hours is possible, in tandem with the growth of our fund development portfolio and the needs of our community and relationships, across Alberta.
- Develops and implements comprehensive plans for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, stewarding, and executing Tails of Help’s fund development strategy, including creative campaign themes and fundraising events
- Builds and grow Tails of Help’s corporate, individual, planned giving, charitable foundation, and grants portfolio
- Identifies grant funding opportunities; writing, submitting, and managing grant proposals, and providing perspective funders with supporting documents
- Leads the donor communications strategy and its implementation
- Develops and generates data on campaigns, and donors, providing and implementing recommendations to improve fundraising results
- Analyzes and monitors progress towards established goals on an on-going basis, recommending strategic adjustments to meet targets and objectives
- Develop and implement strategies to renew and increase donor giving levels and commitments
- Prepares monthly fundraising reports for the TOH Board of Directors
- Coordinates social media communications and channels for public engagement in conjunction with fundraising campaigns and events
- Prepares and delivers high quality proposals, presentations and other communications materials to stakeholders and perspective donors to maximize engagement opportunities
- Establishes and maintains relationships with financial and in-kind supporters
- Engages with the Executive Director on day-to-day activities related to fundraising
- Liaises with the Board of Directors and broader Tails of Help team as required, providing campaign and strategic updates, soliciting feedback and support, and ensuring accurate and consistent messaging related to all fundraising activities
- Delivers high quality proposals, presentations, and other communications materials for stakeholders to maximize engagement opportunities and donor support
- Monitors trends in the philanthropic environment and implements best practices, as appropriate
- Builds and manages volunteer fundraising team
- Nurtures and maintains professional and productive relationships with volunteers
Experience & Professional Attributes
- Passionate about non-profit organizations, specifically serving animals and people in-need to maintain the human-animal bond
- Promotes a clear understanding and passion for Tails of Help’s mission, vision and strategic priorities
- Demonstrates and effectively communicates the values and programs of Tails of Help to donors, and how their support impacts the community we serve
- A minimum of 1-3 years of direct experience in fund development for a non-profit organization (preferred)
- Able to perform and lead fund development activities; strong planning, organization, and time-management skills
- Proven ability to coordinate projects with multiple stakeholders and deliver campaigns on time
- Ability to write clear and engaging messaging that resonates with the intended audience
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; authentic in building relationships
- Excellent presence, strong presentation and public speaking skills, professional demeanor under pressure
- Critical thinker, sees challenges as an opportunity and takes initiative
- Flexible, and open to changing priorities
- Self-motivated and resourceful, ability to generate results while working independently
- Accuracy, attention to detail and respect for confidentiality are essential
- Experience working with volunteers is an asset
Please send your cover letter and curriculum vitae by email to Mark Patrick, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org with Fund Development Specialist in the subject line. References will be required on request.
Tails of Help is an equal opportunity employer and believes that diversity benefits and enriches the organization. We value diversity and inclusion and are committed to a respectful and inclusive workplace. The organization is pleased to consider and welcome all ages, gender identities, racial or ethnic identities, persons with differing abilities, and marginalized individuals. As an organization we promote a strong culture of belonging and accessibility, where everyone feels welcome and can thrive as their authentic selves.
We thank all applicants for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.