Contemporary Calgary aims to provide Calgary and its visitors with a significant visual arts destination dedicated to modern and contemporary art. Contemporary Calgary shares a passion for art that is relevant, meaningful and challenging, and we believe in the power of art to transform the places and the lives we live. We are seeking a full-time Development Associate to join the Contemporary Calgary team.
Contemporary Calgary is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse, respectful and inclusive environment, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates for this position.
Please apply with a cover letter and resume by April 8, 2022 to careers@contemporarycalgary.
Subject Line: Development Associate
Not all applicants will be contacted for an interview
Salary $50,000 per annum
Under the direction of the Director of Development, the Development Associate is primarily responsible for advancing the organization’s grant opportunities (government, foundation, corporate) as well as assisting with individual giving, the Leadership Circle Patron Program, stewardship, database management, and administrative work.
1. Grant Writing:
• Develop and write winning grant proposals for a variety of annual and capital projects, including government granting agencies, private and public foundations, corporations, and other grant making entities
• Develop strategies, craft narratives, assemble and submit grant requests, conduct research, and maintain a calendar of submissions and reporting deadlines
• Write grant reports and updates for all grants that Contemporary Calgary receives throughout the year
• Conduct research on foundations, corporations, and individuals, and identify prospective donors from each group
• Create donor prospect reports and a range of solicitation materials
• Maintain Contemporary Calgary’s fundraising database, including updating constituent records, recording and tracking donations, running reports, and ensuring donor records are up-to-date and accurate.
• Ensure donors receive timely, appropriate, correct information and benefits in a professional manner
• Create corporate summary reports, donor impact reports, and other deliverables
• Coordinate donor acknowledgment, including drafting donor recognition communications, and coordinating physical recognition including the donor wall
5. Individual Giving
• Assist with Contemporary Calgary’s annual appeals and related individual donor initiatives
• Work with Membership Coordinator to transition Members into Donors
• Assist with annual LOOK fundraising gala as well as other events including Leadership Circle and VIP openings
• Fill out gift reports and pledge agreements for donations
• Prepare letters, renewals, tax receipts, and other donor materials
• Assist the Director of Development with other fundraising tasks as required. This may include but is not limited to assisting with events, research, and tours
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree or acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience
• Minimum of four (4) years of directly related experience in a fund development environment with a strong focus on and experience in grant writing
• Exemplary writing skills to convey Contemporary Calgary’s message to a range of potential funders
• Experience with research and creating prospect lists, reports and donor files
• Experience with a fundraising database and MS Office
• Proven ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders including volunteers, team members, donors
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work in a fast paced and results oriented environment
• Strong team player who values collaboration
• Strong organizational and analytical skills
• Demonstrates initiative, tact, diplomacy, attention to detail and creativity
• Exceptional attention to detail
• Strength in determining priorities with the need for flexibility
• Ability to work flexible hours as needed