Bow Valley College is the largest and fastest growing Comprehensive Community College in Alberta. We have locations across southern Alberta helping over 17,000 learners each year. Our mission is to contribute to the vitality of communities and strength of the economy through innovative adult education programs and services which equip students for successful living, lifelong learning, and employment in a global knowledge-based environment.
Why work at Bow Valley College? Bow Valley College is made up of employees who are committed to our learners´ success, as well as each other´s. Our staff and faculty consistently say it is the people who keep them at the College, the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our students, and the incredible support they receive from their co-workers and supervisors.
We are looking for a Manager, Advancement to join our dynamic Fund Development team.
The Manager, Advancement is a leadership position responsible for the achievement of fundraising goals, database and prospect research management, advancement reporting, as well as the day-to-day management of the Fund Development stewardship portfolio for Bow Valley College.
This experienced fund development leader will work strategically with the Director, Fund Development & Alumni Engagement to implement Bow Valley College’s integrated fund development strategy and leads the fund development team in data and prospect management, as well as stewardship.
- Exercises overall managerial direction of the area of responsibility with available resources for the purpose of delivering high-quality service to the Office of the President and senior leadership team that advances the College’s strategic goals.
- Creates, maintains, and monitors annual goals / deliverables for areas of responsibility accountability based on institutional strategic priorities and manages staff to successful completion of the goals.
- Develops, manages, and monitors financial budgets for areas of responsibility, including developing business cases when needed, for the most effective use of budget dollars.
- Manages and supervises the work of direct reports to ensure effective and consistent service. This includes having regular individual or team meetings as appropriate.
- Exercises overall authority to assign/reassign work of employees based on operational needs to deliver on the goals of the department and the College.
- Develops employees in the competencies and technical requirements of their work; determines appropriate professional development; ensures that new staff are appropriately orientated and trained.
- Responsible for overall management, evaluation, scheduling, discipline and corrective actions, performance management and motivation of staff to ensure optimal service is maintained.
- Performance appraisals on direct reports.
- Writes and reviews job descriptions, recruitment action forms.
- Reviews postings and interview scripts.
- Shortlists candidates, participates in interview panels.
- Evaluates candidates and makes final decision on candidate to be hired.
- Considers and approves vacation requests and other leaves, professional development and overtime needs with consideration to budget parameters.
- Regularly evaluates resource requirements for the team and allocate /re-assign staff to key priority areas/projects as needed.
- Maintenance of Agresso absence reports, vacation and other absence approvals.
- Formally appraises employees’ performance and discusses appraisal with them.
- Identifies and takes corrective action on performance issues.
- Interprets and applies the terms of relevant collective agreements and represents management in responding to grievances of employees
- Reviews work, as necessary, prior to distribution to stakeholders.
- Collaborates and carries joint responsibility with other leaders across the organization.
- Coordinates budgetary and statistical reports regarding services and activity within area of responsibility.
- Proposes revisions to College procedures and gives input on revisions to College policies associated with areas of responsibility.
- Represents Fund Development on College committees as appropriate.
- Maintains effective and positive relationships with relevant stakeholders across the College.
Strategic Advancement Operations
- Works with the Director, Fund Development & Alumni Engagement to develop and implement an annual fundraising plan that supports Bow Valley College’s fund development strategy and campaigns.
- Ensures policies and protocols are in place and in compliance with all relevant regulations and laws and adherence to all legal privacy requirements this position will be responsible for the management of the audit trail of all donations and receipts in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency and the Auditor General of Alberta.
- Maintains accountability standards to donors through the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) donor Bill of Rights and ensures compliance with the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives.
- Oversees the data and gift acceptance areas; responsible for working on data management processes; advises on types of gifts and levels of recognition.
- Provides input to Director, Fund Development & Alumni Engagement to develop an annual strategic budget for the department.
- Serves as a senior fund development representative of Bow Valley College by attending various internal meetings and events.
- Ensures Bow Valley College’s fundraising database is managed to fulfill all department requirements managing data integrity driving the processes needed to create the necessary reports that will be utilized by both the Auditor General of Alberta and the Fund Development Team. A key understanding of moves management will be essential.
- Provides oversight to the Awards and Donor Relations program as well as event management for the Fund Development & Alumni Engagement team.
- Develops and manages the annual prospect research plan, information systems, and donor/business information necessary to enable team members in the Fund Development and Alumni Engagement as well as Strategic Partnerships Teams to identify, cultivate and steward donor/business development relationships to enhance revenue generation.
- Manages Bow Valley College’s prospect research and stewardship programs to develop and sustain effective relationships with donors.
- Collaborates with the Strategic Partnerships team to align data management and ensure prospect research support to meet core strategic objectives for business development and revenue generation.
- Collaborates with the Finance team and other departments, to ensure that all gift revenues are properly recorded.
- Manages a personal portfolio of major gift prospects and donors to encourage and seek philanthropic support for Bow Valley College.
- Formulates, recommends and implements cultivation, engagement, solicitation and stewardship strategies to secure gifts from the prospects portfolio.
- Engages with the campus community on fundraising projects and opportunities.
- Develops an in depth understanding of Bow Valley College’s key fundraising priorities including in entrepreneurship, student financial aid, nursing, technology, and financial literacy,
- Participates in the development and implementation of new initiatives that support the strategic direction of Bow Valley College by keeping abreast of new developments and trends in the field of alumni relations and fundraising.
- Generates significant revenue annually in partnership with internal and external stakeholders.
- Attends Face to Face visits with major donors and prospects alone and/or in combination with other strategic partners such as senior staff or management
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management or related field.
- Minimum of 7-10 years proven successful experience in the areas of fundraising and development.
- Proven capital/fundraising campaign experience.
- Experience in major gifts, sponsorships, naming, annual giving with a proven success history.
- Ability to travel.
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered.
- CFRE accreditation (desired).
- Advanced oral and written communication skills are mandatory, as well as organizational skills and attention to details.
- Ability to manage many projects simultaneously within a short timeline.
- Possesses superior leadership, people management and coaching/mentoring skills.
- Ability to influence.
- Visionary, strategic planner.
- Experience working with senior volunteers and corporate leaders.
- Proficient computer skills in database management (e.g. Raiser’s Edge) and Microsoft Office
- Comprehensive relationship building experience.
- Strong knowledge and connections within the Calgary community and local philanthropic environment.
- Member in good standing with AFP and/or CAGP.
This is a full-time, continuous position.
Please note all successful candidates will be required to provide copies of government issued identification and proof of educational qualifications upon hire and may be required to provide an enhanced police information check.
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
Bow Valley College is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion within our community. We welcome applications from qualified candidates who would contribute to the further diversification of our employees including, but not limited to, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Minimum Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree
Location: BVC CALGARY – CA (Primary)
Job Family: Fund Development
FTE Per Individual (%) 100%
Closing Date: 4/17/2023
Employment Status: Continuous
Salary: Commensurate with experience