As our firm continues to grow and thrive, we are adding to our team!
Our KCI team members bring a wide range of skills and experience to client assignments across our broad range of services. At this time, we are seeking an Associate Vice President (AVP) to contribute to the leadership of our philanthropic consulting practice across the country. We are looking for a collaborative, energetic, strategic leader with a proven track record in moving an organization or business forward.
As a member of KCI’s Senior Leadership Team, the AVP will report to one of our Partners (who serves as the AVP’s Supervising Partner) and work closely with additional KCI Partners and colleagues to:
- build collaborative relationships with our non-profit clients;
- market and sell KCI’s consulting services;
- manage projects and client relationships;
- and mentor, lead and manage KCI project team members.
*Please note that we are open to considering candidates at the Vice President level as well.
With the national scope of KCI’s services and clients in mind, we welcome applicants from across the country. All members of KCI’s leadership team are involved with clients nationally, which will also be the case for this AVP role. Our leadership team are both home-office and KCI-office based, with (post-pandemic) regular travel to KCI and client offices.
‘Doing’…Providing counsel to clients
- Serve as a ‘thinking partner’ for KCI clients by providing customized, actionable strategic fundraising counsel through a monthly retainer or project-based model
- Design, plan, manage and lead client projects from start to finish, progressing in both the number and complexity of projects over time
- Serve as KCI Lead on select projects, engaging Supervising Partner as a sounding board and support, proactively seeking input, identifying challenges, and discussing solutions together
- Work closely with and support Partners on complex projects and/or projects or sectors newer to the AVP
‘Selling’…Propelling the business forward
- Become knowledgeable about all KCI services and services streams in order to identify opportunities with current, past, or future clients
- Participate in client outreach activities, including introductions, cross-service referrals, and presentations at professional organizations such as AFP, AHP, CCAE, etc.
- Responsible for an individual revenue goal that will grow as appropriate over time
- Responsible for supporting the achievement of service and regional revenue goals, including:
- participating in regional sales and marketing planning meetings, and in sales and marketing strategy meetings related to client-specific opportunities
- participating in or leading responses to client Requests for Proposals
- leading and/or contributing to proposal development and creation for appropriate projects
- participating in pitches meetings with clients, and eventually leading pitches for appropriate projects
‘Leading’…Developing KCI and team
- Coordinate internal resources for multiple projects which may occur simultaneously, including coordinating Partner, Consultants, Freelancers, Admin staff where relevant
- Establish and manage financial and time allocation budgets for all projects
- Work closely with others on proposal creation and editing, providing direction, clarity, advice, and support
- Supervise one or more staff members, including involvement in hiring, managing, coaching, and conducting performance reviews with relevant employees. Support and guidance will be provided by the Supervising Partner where appropriate
- Contribute to overall strategy of the firm
To be successful in this role, the AVP must demonstrate:
- A broad-based professional experience in fundraising or not for profit leadership, with experience in and exposure to a wide variety of revenue channels and models, organizations, and subsectors
- Curiosity about how to run our business, and a strong desire to contribute to growing the business by learning to sell, develop client relationships, and potentially new revenue streams
- A deep personal satisfaction from providing high-quality service and exceeding expectations; takes personal pride in being known for delivering excellence
- Goal-oriented, results-focused individual who brings a strong internal drive for personal and team success
- Strategic mindset and approach, and the ability to quickly and effectively synthesize information, draw parallels and conclusions, and suggest potential solutions
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Highly dependable, great follow through, and an exceptional work ethic
- High attention to detail, and the ability to multitask and prioritize in an efficient manner
- Strong written communication, listening, and verbal communication skills
- Ability and willingness to be direct and productive in bringing forward ideas and feedback
- Interested in growing your ability to deploy persuasiveness and influence in appropriate ways to suggest solutions, and sell business and ideas
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively in a team
- Honesty and loyalty, with a strong level of integrity and judgement
- Willingness and confidence to ask questions, learn, grow, and improve; and to help others do the same
- Maturity, confidence, and a high degree of emotional and social intelligence
- Ability to develop rapport quickly, and to maintain strong professional relationships over the long term
- Openness and flexibility in thinking, attitude, and style; willingness to share and consult with colleagues to hear ideas and feedback
More About KCI/
We serve our clients through a wide variety of services including: Fundraising Counsel & Campaigns; Assessments & Strategy Development; Research & Analytics; Communications & Case Development; and Executive Search & Talent Services. For more information about KCI, please visit: www.kciphilanthropy.com.
In doing this work, we firmly place our focus on values and people…both ours, and our clients’.
- Values: We are proudly and resolutely guided by our core values: the highest integrity in all our actions; commitment to excellence and innovation in everything we undertake; openness to new ideas; and collaborative and respectful relationships with our colleagues and our clients. We hire to these values and strive to live them every day.
- People: At KCI, our people are our most valuable resource. We hire the best and brightest, provide them with ongoing training and support, and give them the opportunity to work with a range of clients in different regions and sectors across the country. We strive to foster a collaborative culture of professional and personal growth, and to recognize, value, and develop the individual skills and contributions of each of our team members.
As a firm, KCI has a strong commitment to equity and inclusivity. We are proud that our own staff represents various dimensions of diversity, including gender, race, sexual orientation, age, education, physical abilities, and language. KCI is privately owned by our Partners, 70% of whom are women. We especially welcome interest from candidates who bring lived experience as a Black, Indigenous, or other racialized person, a person with disabilities, or an LGBTQ2+ person.
And because we know the future won’t look like the past, we hold capacity building, knowledge sharing and insight creation at our core. We have made it our business to know What’s Next.
The compensation for this AVP role includes a base salary range of $110-$145k, plus an opportunity for annual target incentive compensation of 8% of base salary based on success in achieving individual and firm-wide goals.
KCI provides employees with salary, comprehensive health and dental benefits, life insurance, long term disability, vacation, and sick/personal days. We also provide ongoing professional development opportunities; a donation matching donation program of up to $2,000 per employee, per year; and a RRSP matching program after 3 years’ tenure. On top of that, and perhaps more importantly, we have a flexible, collaborative work culture that our employees appreciate.
We believe that people are catalysts and that organizations can only achieve their full potential with the right people on their team. This is true both for our clients and for KCI.
Deadline for submission is January 24, 2022. This position is intended to commence in the first half of 2022.
To be considered for this opportunity, candidates should please send their resume and letter of interest to Tara George, Partner / Lead, KCI Search + Talent via email at: AVP@kcitalent.com.
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
KCI is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, equitable, and accessible work environment. KCI will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation, please inform the search consultant listed above.