Big Brothers Big Sisters of Calgary and Area (BBBS) is a volunteer-driven organization that provides mentoring programs for children and youth in schools and communities throughout Calgary and surrounding areas. At Big Brothers Big Sisters, we believe every young person should have the opportunity to reach their full potential – that by doing so, they will not only do well, they will also do good.
We believe that in changing the course of young lives through mentoring, it will in turn change the course of our community’s future, that it will empower children and youth who are facing adversity to do well in school, go on to successful careers and give back to their communities. We believe in building strong developmental relationships that promote healthy brain development, build social emotional competencies, and ultimately lead to lifelong health and wellness.
BBBS currently has an exciting and rewarding career opportunity for an accomplished and passionate Communications Specialist to join the BBBS team. Reporting to the Director of Development, this position will play an integral role in the planning, delivery, and evaluation of our internal and external fundraising and marketing communications strategy. The successful candidate will be collaborative, self-motivated and a creative communicator that will enable life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite the power and potential of young people.
Salary: $50,000 – $55,000/yearly
37.5 Hours per Week (1.0 FTE)
- Collaborate with teams across the BBBS agency to plan, source and create high quality and engaging content to be shared across multiple channels and with various Community both internally and externally
- Support the external communications strategies and plans that advance the brand and reputation to key volunteers and community partners
- Lead and assist strategies to effectively communicate and steward donors at all levels of giving including Annual Report, bi-annual giving solicitations, events, case for support and other donor communications as needed
- Contribute communication strategies that will engage the community in volunteer activities in support of BBBS events and programs
- Lead and contribute to BBBS leadership speaking opportunities by crafting speeches and media releases related to the activities of fundraising and program support
- Ensure high quality writing standards, reflecting BBBS brand voice and tone;
- Ensure brand standards and strong design principles are incorporated into documents and digital assets
- Create and manage content for traditional and emerging communications channels that also includes the website (WordPress), social media and other social platforms
- Provide media relations and crisis communications response support as needed;
- Support the planning and coordination of events as needed, which may involve some evening or weekend work.
- Exposure to not-for-profit and charitable organizations is valuable
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing public relations strategies and community engagement plans for large organizations;
- A solid understanding of communications best practices, community engagement methods, and experience communicating with external audiences and community partners;
- Degree in Marketing, Communications or Journalism, with a minimum of 3 years’ experience
- Strong computer skills required – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Publisher, basic HTML
- Knowledge of design suites an asset (adobe, InDesign, Canva etc.)
- Proactive work ethic and the ability to deliver results in a fast-paced environment;
- Comfort leading and executing projects while working independently, or as part of a team;
- Experience as a storyteller with expert skills in writing, editing, and advising on design needs with knowledge of CP Style an asset ;
- Experience working with diverse ethno-cultural communities, children and youth facing adversity an asset;
- Police Information Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search;
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Calgary and Area offers a competitive compensation package, health benefits and RRSP matching.
Closing Date: Until suitable candidate is found.
Submit Cover Letter and Resume To: Human Resources
5945 Centre Street SW
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to accept telephone inquiries.