Director, Community Giving
VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation raises funds for specialized adult health services and research for all British Columbians, including the largest, most specialized hospital in BC. Donors contribute over $50 million to the Foundation every year to drive innovation and sustainable health care at VGH & UBC Hospital, GF Strong Rehab Centre, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute, and Vancouver Community Health Services.
Foundation leaders have created the new Director, Community Giving (CG) role to lead the Foundation’s important community giving programs, ensuring they are strategic, effective, and fully integrated across the organization. Growing the programs from a foundation of excellence, the Director will have the opportunity to incorporate evolving philanthropic trends, demographic shifts, and industry-best practices.
Strong community giving programs set up the Foundation for success, so the Director will be hub for not only the community giving program’s work, but key initiatives across the Foundation. As such this is an exciting opportunity for a fundraising professional to:
- Critically analyze the Foundation’s CG programs, and set their strategic direction.
- Leverage and enhance the subject matter expertise of the existing CG team.
- Act as the business lead for the new CRM Salesforce implementation.
- Join a collaborative and highly professionalized and driven team working to fulfill a compelling mission.
If you’re an exceptional fundraising leader with a strong generalist background and a passion for improving health care, this may be the role for you.
Overseen by the Senior Vice President, Community Giving & Engagement, Dany Maneely, The Community Giving and Engagement (CG&E) division inspires, engages, converts, and retains community-level support to VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation. The fundraising and business areas that sit within CG&E are the Foundation’s annual giving, fundraising events, Asian Strategy, marketing and communications, art program, and lotteries (Millionaire and Hometown Heroes). Under the Foundation’s 2021-2025 strategic plan, the division’s focus is achieving long-term sustainability through growing donor numbers at the $1K+ giving level by providing an exceptional donor experience. The division’s annual revenue target is over $11 million.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Community Giving & Engagement, the Director of Community Giving provides strategic execution through planning, developing, implementing, promoting, and evaluating the effectiveness of the Foundation’s fundraising strategies, campaigns, practices, and activities for supporters giving at levels up to $25K, with a focus on retention and acquisition of annual donors.
Broadly, the Director has overall responsibility for:
- Leading, developing, and successfully implementing strategies that grow annual community giving with a focus on long-term sustainability through retention & acquisition of donors giving up to $25,000.
- Inspiring, leading, and integrating the teams focused on annual community giving, ensuring targets are met, and any risk around income areas is highlighted and managed.
Specifically, the Director has oversight of the annual & mid-level giving programs through direct response, monthly, online, tribute, events (Foundation-led fundraising events and independent community events), peer-to-peer fundraising programs, as well as the Foundation’s Asian Strategy. The Director is accountable for achieving an annual revenue target of $5M+ and leads three direct reports with a total staff team of 11.
With a role as broad and collaborative as the Director’s, strategic and tactical priorities will inevitably shift over time based on both the Director’s suggestions and evolving Foundation needs. However, the Director’s immediate priorities in the short-term include:
- Team Leadership: Lead, manage, inspire, and develop high-performing team members to ensure targets are met, risks are mitigated, and engagement is positive.
- Partners in Care (mid-level) fundraising program: Lead the strategic review of this essential program, and develop, document, and implement the resulting plan to renew, reactivate and upgrade donors giving $1K-25K across all giving channels (eg: mainstream, Asian Strategy, corporate and COVID donors). For more, see: https://vghfoundation.ca/ways-to-give/partners-in-care/
- Events Strategy: Lead implementation and integration of the outcomes of a strategic review (currently underway) to explore and define how the Foundation can use events as an engagement mechanism, to support the ultimate goal of growing the number of donors giving at $1K+ and complementing our Asian Strategy.
- CRM Implementation: Oversee the successful adoption of our new Salesforce CRM within the philanthropic community giving & engagement teams to enable continued achievement of revenue and donor targets, and support achievement of overarching CRM Renewal Project successes.
- CG&E Reporting: Develop a concise and user-friendly reporting system to measure success for CG&E, including identifying any future reporting needs.
For More Information:
Enquiries, expressions of interest, and confidential nominations are welcome to Christoph Clodius, Vice President of The Discovery Group, at 604-836-1972, or email@example.com.
The selection process and interviews will take place in early 2022 and our goal is to have a new Director start as soon as reasonably possible, and ideally in early Spring of 2022 at the latest.
We welcome applications from Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, BIPOC and racialized individuals, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, and others who may contribute to the Foundation’s organizational diversity and who share the Foundation’s values.
As part of VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation’s commitment to the health and safety of our community, including our healthcare partners and donors, the Foundation requires all employees of the Foundation to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.