Make a Wish Canada
Make a Wish Canada
2308 24 STREET SW CALGARY, AB T2T 5H8
Full-Time, Senior Level
ABOUT MAKE-A-WISH® CANADA
Make-A-Wish® creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We are on a quest to bring every eligible child’s wish to life, because a wish is an integral part of a child’s treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight a critical illness. As an independently operating affiliate of Make-A-Wish International, Make-A-Wish Canada is part of the network of the world’s leading children’s wish-granting organization. We serve children in every community in Canada, and in more than 50 countries worldwide.
Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 35,000 wishes across the country, over 1,000 last year alone. For more information about Make-A-Wish Canada, visit makeawish.ca.
Join our team as a:
Regular Full Time
Reference #: MAW041
This position is based in Calgary and is accountable for developing and executing strategies and providing expertise to coordinate all assigned fundraising activities including but not limited to chapter/sub-chapter fundraising initiatives, third party events and the identification of new fund development opportunities. Acting as a representative of MAWC, this position safeguards the interests of the Foundation, donors, and fundraising event participants by following established fundraising policies.
- Works in collaboration with direct supervisor and chapter team to develop execute short-term and long-term development goals for the chapter ensuring increased revenue year-over-year.
- Strengthens and expands revenue development opportunities with existing donors through cultivation and implementation of strategies.
- Recruits new corporate donors and develops customized stewardship strategies.
- Ensures all fundraising initiatives and donor cultivation is in keeping with relevant Foundation policies and practices.
- Adheres to Imagine Canada’s Ethical Code.
- Collaborates with national and chapter staff as appropriate in fulfilling the mission, strategy and goals of the Foundation.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with stakeholders (National Office, volunteers, suppliers, sponsors, donors, media, and community liaisons) to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of assigned fundraising initiatives.
- Utilizes donor database to input and track donor activities.
- Utilizes high degree of creativity in the development and design of marketing and promotional material including PowerPoint presentations, flyers/brochures, and other material.
- Acts as an ambassador and spokesperson for the Foundation, specifically when communicating with the media, donors and other stakeholders.
- Continuously works to increase awareness of MAWC through all contacts and business interactions through relationships, marketing, and promotion.
- Works in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act in the applicable province of employment and its regulations and complies with the Foundation’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
Staff Management Accountabilities
- Assists direct supervisor in recruiting, engaging and retaining qualified employees to meet business priorities
- Provides direct reports, support and direction in the development, alignment and accomplishment of objectives through on-going performance feedback, recognition and coaching.
- Provides a safe and healthy work environment for team members and relevant stakeholders. Ensures they work in compliance with The Occupational Health & Safety Act in applicable province of employment, its regulations, and the Foundation’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensure department adherence to financial policies and controls.
- Determine expense projections as part of the budgeting and forecasting process for assigned fundraising activities
- Authorize expenditures within approved guidelines.
- Monitor expenditures against budget and forecast, and initiates appropriate remedial activity as required.
- Post-secondary education in business or fundraising, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
- CFRE designation or working towards is considered an asset.
- 5-7 years of experience in a fundraising/management role in the not-for-profit or charitable sectors.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising activities, donor relations and relationship management
- Demonstrated ability to effectively forge, manage and maintain long-standing stakeholder relationships
- Proven ability to take initiative and carry projects to completion with minimal supervision
- Ability to lead a team and coach others to achieve common goals
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to exercise sound judgment in relations with a diverse group of volunteers, staff, clients, other agencies and healthcare professionals, suppliers and the general public
- General financial management skills to meet/exceed revenue targets, ability to manage operations within an established budget; knowledge of government receipting requirements
- Knowledge of philanthropy and employer sponsored volunteerism in the corporate giving sector an asset
- Strong MS Office skills (Word/Excel/Outlook/PowerPoint)
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle and able to travel
- Primary accountabilities are carried out in the Chapter Office, however, may be routinely required to attend indoor and outdoor events.
- This position requires work outside or beyond traditional office hours and thus requires a flexible schedule year-round.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required to fulfill the responsibilities.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL EFFORT
- Works under pressure of tight deadlines, with high volume workload, and with multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Demonstrates emotional resiliency to be able to conduct cold-calls and continue to develop donor relations.
WHAT WE OFFER
Make-A-Wish® Canada offers meaningful opportunities to make an impact. We are committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives, foster compassion and better humanity.
In return for your contributions, we offer an attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary, excellent benefits and the opportunity to have a rewarding employment experience where your contributions can make a true difference every day.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates are invited to send their resume and cover letter stating salary expectations, and quoting the reference Manager, Development, Posting #MAW041 in the subject line of the email by October 8th, 2021, to: Human Resources Department | Hr.Recruitment@makeawish.ca
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Make-A-Wish® Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified persons. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
JOIN OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish® Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.