Bow Valley College
Bow Valley College contributes to the vitality of communities and strength of the economy through innovative adult education programs and services. We equip students for successful living, lifelong learning, and employment in a global knowledge-based environment.
We are currently accepting applications for the role of Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts.
This position will report directly to the Campaign Manager and will be responsible for donor acquisition and retention with a philanthropic portfolio of accounts to manage and steward. Working in a team environment, this role will manage a personal portfolio of major gift prospects and donors to encourage and seek philanthropic support for key fundraising and potential campaign priorities.
The Senior Development Officer – Major Gifts will develop strategies to promote ongoing and/or increased giving, donor relations for Bow Valley College’s key program priorities; this includes soliciting gifts, sponsorships, and government/foundation grants.
- Identifies and incorporate new and leading-edge fundraising vehicles and methodologies throughout the development cycle.
- Manages and implements a major gift program to support Bow Valley College’s key fundraising and potential campaign priorities.
- Responsible for increasing major gift dollars through the development of project cases for support and funding assessment scorecards for prioritization and review.
- Manages a personal portfolio of major gift prospects and donors to encourage and seek philanthropic support for Bow Valley College’s priority areas.
- Collaborates with internal teams to formulate, recommend, and implement cultivation, engagement, solicitation, and stewardship strategies to secure gifts from the prospect’s portfolio for larger institutional priorities.
- Develops an in depth understanding of Bow Valley College’s key fundraising priorities.
- Participates in the development and implementation of new initiatives that support the strategic direction of Bow Valley College by keeping abreast of new developments and trends in the field of alumni relations and fundraising.
- Generates significant revenue annually in partnership with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops customized strategies and plans to identify, cultivate, engage, solicit, and steward donors and prospects within the portfolio.
- Attends face to face visits with major donors and prospects alone and/or in combination with other strategic partners such as senior staff or management.
- Implements strategy for projects to generate gifts for priority initiatives with input and assistance from other team members; prepare other correspondences as required.
- Through personal visits, identifies and qualifies individuals to determine capacity, inclination, and interests in providing special and major gift support to the Faculty.
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate next steps for newly qualified potential donors and current donors.
- Presents solicitation proposals to potential donors.
Donor Relations (25%)
- Identifies, cultivates, and solicits planned gift prospects and stewards identified planned gift donors.
- Collaborates with the Stewardship Specialist to manage and activate a donor recognition program for major gift donors.
- Participates in and assist with donor recognition, stewardship activities, special events, alumni, and appropriate campus activities.
- Represents Bow Valley College within the external community and facilitate relationships.
- Utilizes superior writing and editing skills to develop brochures, correspondence, funding proposals and related communications.
Event, Project, and Volunteer management (15%)
- Collaborates with internal partners to oversee portfolio initiatives such donor cheque presentations, lunches, and reporting.
- Collaborates with the Stewardship Specialist and other colleagues to support stewardship initiatives.
- Assists with other departmental, alumni and Bow Valley College related activities, events and fundraising initiatives including
- Celebrating Student Futures (Awards Ceremony), Premier’s Scholarship Luncheon, Tours, and other institutional wide initiatives.
Database and Administration (10%)
- Develops and manages the major gift, campaign portfolio business plan, including development of targets, stewardship, and retention strategies.
- Conducts prospecting activities to identify and qualify prospects to further build the giving pipeline for Bow Valley College’s campaign.
- Participates in Prospect Management System; file timely and appropriate contact reports, recording of proposals, etc.
- Undertakes in-depth analysis of complex problems/issues, articulate alternatives and recommend solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred: Non-profit management, Business or Communications; Public Relations,
- 3 to 5 of experience in fundraising and development
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered
- Database Management (Raiser Edge)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- MS Office
- Connections within the Calgary community and philanthropic environment
- Demonstrated success in fundraising a significant asset
- Willingness to work towards CFRE designation
This is a continuous (Exempt) position. Please also note that all successful candidates will be required to provide government issued identification and proof of educational qualifications upon hire and may be required to provide an enhanced police information check.
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
Bow Valley College is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion within our community. We welcome applications from qualified candidates who would contribute to the further diversification of our employees including, but not limited to, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Apply online at: