POSITION: Director of Development & Communications
REPORTS TO: COO
Spirit North is seeking a skilled and enthusiastic individual to join our growing team. The Director of Development and Communications working in collaboration with the leadership team and the board will be responsible for planning and implementing Spirit North’s fund development and communication strategies. This is an exciting opportunity to join a national charity making a difference to Indigenous youth.
About Spirit North
Working in partnership with communities, we reach over 6,000 Indigenous children and youth annually with sport and play programs designed to empower and inspire. We are Canmore (Alberta) based, have strong partnerships provincially and nationally, and are a dynamic team – friendly, flexible, and deeply committed to reconciliation and social justice. We are proving that sport and play can be a powerful catalyst for social change, and we’re
having a lot of fun doing it.
In collaboration with the leadership team and the board, the Director of Fund Development & Communications is responsible for identifying and stewarding funding relationships, as well as the development and maintenance of various fund development strategies,
programs, activities, and initiatives. The role will also collaboratively manage communications related to the overall presence of
the organization, ensuring that communications and promotional campaigns fully support the organization’s growth.
• In collaboration with the Executive leadership team; initiate, execute, and oversee various fund development strategies, programs, and activities
• Lead the identification, engagement, and stewardship of major individual donors, corporate, government, foundation, partners, and institutional funding prospects.
• Assist in creating and maintaining development policies and procedures.
• Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual strategic communications plan that will increase public awareness and visibility of our programs, and deepen understanding of the work of Spirit North.
• Lead the content development, distribution and maintenance of all internal and external print and digital communications and assets for Spirit North including but not limited to the website, annual report, newsletters, annual campaigns, etc.
• Lead and manage Spirit North’s Social Media presence through Content and related policies
• Work in close collaboration with members of the senior leadership team to develop and support targeted internal and external communications for key strategic initiatives
• Historical knowledge of and cultural sensitivity toward Indigenous peoples
• Experience in fund development
• Education and/or experience in the non-profit sector
• Superior oral and written communication skills
• Solid experience with internal, external, and fundraising communications
• Proven leadership skills with the ability to communicate effectively, handle and
delegate responsibilities, listen to feedback and solve problems
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with donors and
supporters, and to connect with individuals of diverse abilities and backgrounds
• Ability to use data and other management tools to effectively measure fundraising
activities, and provide guidance and support as needed
• Exceptional organizational and time management skills
• Knowledge of strategic and operational planning
• Aptitude for budgeting, forecasting and ongoing fundraising analysis
• Experience managing social media accounts, newsletters, and curating print materials for a non-profit organization an asset
• Superior computer skills, including Microsoft Office and fundraising database experience
• Ability to work independently and within a team and deliver confidently under pressure
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to Marilyn Payne at: Marilyn.email@example.com with “Director of Development and Communications – your name” in the title. Please include contact information for two references with your application.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Spirit North provides equal opportunity to all employees regardless of their ability, age, race, religion, ability, gender identification, sexual orientation, marital status, ethnic origin, language, or other such considerations, and intersectionalities, therein. We are a family friendly organization that allows for flexible work arrangements to support staff diversity and ensure a healthy work-life balance. Our recruitment and selection process reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of the children in our programs; therefore the successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory police record check as a condition of employment.