“The best prescription I’ve ever given is a wish.”
-Dr. Jeremy Friedman, Associate Paediatrician-in-Chief, SickKids Hospital & Medical Advisor for Make-A-Wish® Canada
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST WISH?
Is it to be part of an organization that is child-focused, values employee experience and is an inspiring workplace? If so, Make-A-Wish is for you!
Make-A-Wish® Canada creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We are on a quest to bring every eligible child’s wish to life because a wish is an integral part of a child’s treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight a critical illness.
“It’s been wonderful to have this wish to look forward to… It’s wonderful to see [Rowan] with something that brings him pure joy after all he’s been through and missed out on!”
–Melissa, mom to wish kid Rowan (age 5, leukemia), who wished for an indoor jungle gym.
MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
Our mission is, together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illness.
Supported by our vision to grant the wish of every eligible child.
Our values are Child-Focused, Integrity, Impact, Innovation, and Community.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Meaningful opportunities to make an impact
- An environment where you feel valued and inspired
- An attractive compensation package, including Benefits, RRSP, Paid Vacation, Additional Paid Leaves
- Work/life balance and flexibility
- Hybrid working environment
- Employee Wellness Program
- Corporate discounts
- Continuous learning, development and internal training opportunities
- Fun employee activities, contests and more!
Make-A-Wish® Canada is committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives while offering a rewarding employment experience where your contributions make a true difference every day!
WHERE YOU COME IN
We are looking for Development Officer to join our team at Make-A-Wish Canada. We are looking for a driven, energetic, and creative person who is responsible for managing and coordinating assigned fundraising activities within the province of Alberta.
This includes, but is not limited to; securing sponsorship, media relations, donor development, grant writing and researching opportunities to increase chapter revenue. Acting as a representative of the Foundation, this position safeguards the interests of the Foundation, the Wish Families and event participants by following established procedures and guidelines ensuring the quality of every fundraising initiative.
This role is located in Calgary and is a full-time, permanent, hybrid position.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Identifies and inspires potential corporate and individual donors
- Applies event management principles and processes to manage the full cycle of events at the chapter level ensuring high standards for all assigned fundraising initiatives
- Develops strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Utilizes high degree of creativity in the development and design of marketing and promotional material including PSA’s, press releases, brochures and other material
- Collaborates with internal departments to assist with development or coordination of material for Wish Stories and other development and communication material/literature of a timely basis which may include social/marketing media
- Establishes and provides support to event committees as required to ensure success of events (e.g., guidance, materials, staff/volunteers, timelines, etc.)
- Work in collaboration with Wish Granting team to identify appropriate Wish Families for event participation
- Collaborates with immediate manager in identifying opportunities for development and growth in sponsorship, donations (e.g., sponsorships for; event décor, silent auction, prizes, food and drinks, entertainment, supplies, equipment, venues, etc.) and awareness
- Works in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act in the applicable province of employment and its regulations and complies with the Foundation’s Health & Safety Policy
- Other duties as assigned
WHAT YOU BRING
- Post-secondary education in fundraising/business or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- 2 -3 years working experience in the fundraising area (events, campaigns and working with volunteers), preferably in a multi-level organization within diverse communities. Supervisory experience is an asset
- Ability to work independently and on various tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing tasks of others and to work with others on a job to achieve the best results
- Must be highly motivated and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Good oral and written communication, interpersonal and presentation skills. Ability to speak to groups of people in a variety of settings
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving and good judgement
- Demonstrated time-management and organizational skills. Flexibility with changing priorities and ability to remain focused to meet targeted timelines
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook/Word/Excel)
- Demonstrated experience in using databases and ability to be able to train on databases; and the ability to learn and adapt to new technology
- Positive attitude; ability to take responsibility and be accountable; ability to deal with change in the workplace and be innovative; respect for others
- Works under pressure with multiple tight deadlines, demands, high volume workload, and dynamic/overlapping priorities
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is a requirement for this position
- A clear Criminal Background Check required
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to their first day of work, subject to relevant accommodations or exemptions.
YOUR WORK ENVIRONMENT
Hybrid work environment, responsibilities are carried out in Chapter Office and remote environment, however regularly required to be out of the office for visits with sponsors and donors, for site visits and attending events in the community
Required to work outside of regular office hours during peak season
Emotional situations in dealing with wish recipients and families facing life threatening conditions or illnesses, in palliative care, and end-of-life stages.
Physical activity may include lifting of boxes with materials, setting up equipment, etc., up to 20kg
Works under high degree of pressure on day of events to ensure logistics and all aspects of events are carried out successfully.
HOW TO APPLY
If everything you’ve read so far sounds like you, we encourage you to apply now! Please click the following link to apply, application deadline is 29 August 2022.
Make-A-Wish® Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Reasonable accommodations due to disability are available on request at any stage of the hiring process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, and we are committed to getting back to all applicants
- Reviewed by Make-A-Wish Employee
- Phone Screening
- Reference Check
- Criminal Background Check
ABOUT MAKE-A-WISH® CANADA
Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 36,000 wishes across the country, over 900 last year alone. As an independently operating affiliate of Make-A-Wish International, Make-A-Wish Canada is part of the network of the world’s leading children’s wish-granting organization. We serve children in every community in Canada, and in more than 50 countries worldwide.
JOIN OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish® Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.