Senior Development Officer
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
The Banff Centre is seeking a Senior Development Officer in service of the Centre’s mission, vision and strategic priorities. The Development Office generates revenue to meet or exceed annual and/or campaign targets, assists its private and public supporters with meeting their giving objectives in line with Banff Centre’s strategic priorities, and builds strong and lasting relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Reporting to the Vice President Development and External Relations the Development Officer has specific responsibilities and accountabilities in the qualification, cultivation, solicitation, recognition, and stewardship of supporters/prospects with the goal of securing commitments (annual and multi-year) within a specific portfolio for identified fundraising priorities (annual and campaign). The Development Officer manages relationships with donors, sponsors and other supporters to maximize Banff Centre’s ability to raise funds on a sustainable basis. The Senior Development Officer is based in Alberta and will focus on a portfolio that advances the mission of the Banff Centre primarily in Western Canada.
Some of the key roles and responsibility for this position are:
- Cultivate relationships with a portfolio of newly identified supporters in the qualification stage, with the goal of building Banff Centre’s supporter base
- Secure donation and sponsorship commitments toward a Major Gifts target by leading and managing an assigned portfolio of prospects and supporters through a proactive contact and solicitation program
- Achieve and/or exceed revenue goals for the assigned portfolio of prospects and supporters by developing, maintaining and implementing a robust and sustainable rolling 3-year pipeline plan from qualification to cultivation to solicitation to stewardship; in line with team standards, continually track the status of pipeline projects and tasks within the database; maintain call reports, strategy notes and prospect files in the Raisers Edge database and use other fundraising processes and systems as required
- Work collaboratively with the Development Writer to write and submit professional, meaningful and appropriate supporter communications (i.e. proposals and letters) and meet with prospects and supporters to solicit financial support toward fundraising priorities; work with the Associate Director of Operations to prepare supporter agreements
- Regularly audit and adapt related development activities to ensure goals are met; develop strategies to ensure sustainability and growth of revenue; increase supporter engagement and maintain high supporter retention rates
- Continuously develop and foster relationships with supporters of the Arts and Leadership communities in line with high professional standards and the fundraising code of ethics; expand Banff Centre’s base of friends, advocates and supporters, and its profile in the Arts and Leadership community;
- Plan, prepare and brief Banff Centre leadership (up to and including the Executive Team and Board), and key volunteers in preparation for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship meetings and calls;work with Arts and Leadership programming team to develop, sustain and optimize relationships with prospects and supporters
- Work with approved / assigned campaign cabinet and/ or Board members or other volunteers to help with identifying potential internal and external stakeholder partners to assist in advancing Banff Centre’s fundraising goals
- Implement, monitor, manage, and adjust fundraising plans in support of approved and priority fundraising projects, including designated and undesignated fundin
Human Resource Management, Team Building and Interdivisional Cooperation
- Enables the staff to function as a high performing team at all times, maintaining open communication, clear objectives and priorities, and a culture of positive behavioral intent that is consistent and in alignment with Banff Centre values and is welcoming and inclusive, supporting a diverse workforce.
- Fosters an internal culture that maintains the highest standards for customer service, excellence of staff, participant and guest experience, and fiscal, operational, and organizational integrity.
- Ensures a positive and safe work environment for all Banff employees, aligned with Banff Centre’s policies including but not limited to code of ethics, anti-harassment policies, contractual obligations, and strategic directions.
- Maintains effective working relationships with team members, internal partners, customers, the union and other stakeholders.
- As a key role with external connections, this position guides teams to ensure that Banff Centre is represented to any stakeholders and constituents in an informed, helpful, and positive way, striving to increase the organization’s public value in each interaction.
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, CFRE, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum eight years of successful experience with proven track record in campaigns and portfolio specific areas of fundraising preferred
- Experience working in the arts is an asset
- Strong technical skills (MS Office Suite, fundraising databases (Raisers Edge preferred) and other tools)
- Excellent customer service skills with proven ability to develop and maintain positive and productive relationships with supporters, volunteers, Board members, vendors and staff members. Confident and comfortable working with senior positions and Boards
- Can grasp big picture and how work fits within big picture in a fundraising context, politically and financially savvy, demonstrated experience and success in building, leading and executing fundraising plans and strategies to deliver on (or exceed) set goals
- Savvy at understanding supporter needs and perceptions and ability to adapt to them accordingly to align with organization’s fundraising priorities
- Outstanding interpersonal, written and oral/presentation communication skills and an ability to work cooperatively with, motivate and influence, a broad range of individuals
- Demonstrated tact, diplomacy and creativity. Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times. High ethical skills in context of a Development Office including conduct at events and representing an organization
- Meticulous attention to detail, strong organizational and analytical skills
- Driven and results orientated; embraces achieving and exceeding goals
- Team player with strong leadership skills
- Superb time management skills and able to work under pressure
- Experienced at multitasking with strong project management skills and a proven ability to manage and balance large workloads, projects and portfolios
- Demonstrated initiative, autonomy and strategic thinking; adaptable to change, and take on new tasks willingly
- Regardless of the time constraints and demands on time, the incumbent must be professional and convey an attitude of helpfulness and concern
- This position will be working remotely temporarily due to the COVID-19 pandemic but will be required to work from the office in Banff, AB once restrictions are lifted.
- Candidates offered a position with Banff Centre will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
- In accordance with the terms of employment governing Management/PSP employees, this is a permanent, full-time position, subject to a 6 month probationary period.
- The successful candidate will enjoy twenty paid vacation days and four personal days annually, extended medical and dental benefits, and participation in an employer-matched pension plan.
- Please include a cover letter demonstrating how your experience translates to this position and why you are interested in becoming part of our team.
- We will be accepting applications for Senior Development Officer until 11:59pm MT on Sunday, October 31, 2021, however, we will be reviewing resumes and screening candidates on an ongoing basis.
- Apply Online at Banffcentre/careers