Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation
July 22 2021
(Recommended to include, but not required)
$65 - 80K
About Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation (DMRF) provides critical support to local health research by fundraising to attract the best resources available to bolster their leading-edge work. Whether it’s talent, equipment, training, or space, DMRF exists to strengthen this research to positively impact health outcomes regionally, nationally, and internationally. Collaboration is vital to our success and we nurture strong relationships with research institutes locally, and across geographic borders, who share our quest for innovative outcomes. Our Board of Directors includes local, national, and international members who enhance our ability to have greater depth of knowledge, expertise, and diversity. Our members care passionately about health research and its potential to improve the health outcomes of people in this community and beyond.
In 1979, a group of business and community leaders, along with members of Dalhousie’s Faculty of Medicine, came together because they believed in the power of medical research to change and save lives – they also believed our region could and should be a leader in medical research excellence; DMRF was formed. Forty years later, DMRF has raised tens of millions of dollars, and supported hundreds of world-class researchers by endowing projects, training leaders in health research, building partnerships, and funding new discoveries. This is changing health outcomes locally, and all over the world.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity-seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, African Nova Scotians, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the 2SLGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Reporting to the Director of Philanthropy, and as a member of the Philanthropy Team, the Senior Officer Donor Impact & Accountability is responsible for independently leading and coordinating a robust donor relations program that holds DMRF accountable to our donors and clearly demonstrates the impact of their contributions. This includes the acknowledgement, recognition and stewardship activities for annual giving, major gift, and planned giving donors.
The chosen candidate will work in collaboration with the CEO and Director of Philanthropy to develop and implement an integrated donor relations strategy for DMRF activities that recognize and celebrate philanthropy. They will work closely with Directors, Major, Annual Fund and Planned Giving leads, Deans of Dalhousie’s Faculties of Health, Medicine, and Dentistry, researchers and faculty members to support and cultivate a solid relationship between DMRF and its donors, resulting in long-term engagement and philanthropic support.
- Develop and maintain sustainable long-term relationships through extraordinary stewardship that will result in the highest level of philanthropic support for DMRF
- Create, manage, and execute an enhanced stewardship program with a focus on exceptional and highly customized individual stewardship plans for top tier donors and a systematic, integrated donor relations program to recognize and steward all donors
- Manage a small pool of major gift donors in the stewardship phase ensuring they are aware of their impact
- Support relationship managers to ensure they are fulfilling all donor stewardship needs for their assigned donors
- Direct the acknowledgement of all gifts to DMRF including memorial and tribute gifts
- Review and update donor communication tactics and strategies on a periodic basis
- Collaborate with the communications team to create meaningful, personalized stewardship reports, donor profiles, and impact stories for the Impact Report, Philanthropist, digital communications, and DMRF publications
- Oversight of donor relations events, e.g. annual thank-a-thon and impact reception, with support from the Donor and Community Engagement Officer
- Co-ordinate with the DMRF Research Strategist to monitor spending balances of all donor-created funds to ensure they are appropriately spent on an annual basis
- Partner with the DMRF Research Strategist to coordinate with benefactors of endowed funds to ensure they understand their roles and responsibilities as stewards of these funds
- Assist in the development of gift agreements and ensure agreement obligations are fulfilled
- Represent DMRF at events for the purpose of fostering long-term relationships resulting in continued philanthropic support
- May be responsible for management of staff or other duties as assigned
- University degree, advanced diploma, or college diploma in a related discipline such as Marketing, Communications, or Public relations
- 5+ years experience in a customer relations or relationship building based role
- Experience in program design, analysis, reporting, and budgeting
- Proficient computer skills and experience with database management systems, preferably in a networked environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word); Raisers Edge and Adobe Suite (In Design) or similar programs, an asset
- Proven management and leadership skills an asset
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience
RELEVANT SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Experience in a fast-paced environment requiring quick and appropriate decision-making skills
- Possess excellent communication skills and can deliver content effectively and engagingly in a concise, creative, and persuasive manner to a variety of audiences
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills that enable you to interact with a diversity of people and support resolution of issues
- Ability to work as a team member to gain cooperation and facilitate groups of people to work toward shared goals
- Ability to self-motivate, organize, and prioritize time and resources
- Demonstrate a high level of sound judgement, tact, and diplomacy
- High level of self-confidence, creativity, and enthusiasm
- Proactive approach; ability to anticipate needs and interests of varied audiences
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Strict attention to detail and accuracy with an appreciation for the implications of errors
- Superior customer service skills that create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
Work With Us
We are a strong team with a passion for not only advancing health research outcomes, but for a work environment that is supportive, hardworking, and fun. Now, more than ever, the world has seen the power health research has to affect the health and wellness of each of us. If you are looking to advance your philanthropic acumen by working with a gifted and talented team, in a culture that encourages growth and professional development, DMRF is the place for you. At DMRF, your voice will be heard. We value your knowledge and expertise and will be looking to you to you advise us on the latest and greatest philanthropic best practices. We encourage you to come to our table, ready to share your experience and enthusiasm!
DMRF is also pleased to offer an excellent health benefits and RRSP plan.
Deadline to Apply is Thursday, July 22, 2021. Please email your cover letter and resume to Ms. Jen Laurette, Director, Philanthropy, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary Range: $65-80k