United Way of Calgary and Area
February 21, 2022
Strategic Giving Specialist
United Way of Calgary and Area is looking for a Strategic Giving Specialist professional to join our Resource Development team. If you are passionate about your community, aspire to make an impact, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and want to make a difference, then we’re looking for you!
The Strategic Giving Specialist will work effectively with donors, volunteers and the business community to achieve fundraising goals. This role will be responsible for the implementation of United Way’s integrated planned giving program which includes a variety of strategic giving opportunities. The Strategic Giving Specialist, will be responsible for developing and achieving financial and non-financial goals to steward and grow relationships with giving prospects for various strategic gift types and levels. Reporting to the Manager, Strategic Giving, this position will proactively implement exceptional relationship management, cultivation and solicitation strategies, to secure support and build sustainable relationships and collaborate across the organization to strengthen the strategic giving opportunities.
What you will do
- Plan, monitor, and execute an integrated planned giving program, including a focus on estate gifts, life insurance, donor advised funds, and other strategic giving opportunities.
- Develop and achieve, in conjunction with volunteer leaders, financial and non-financial goals for strategic giving opportunities, including assigned prospects and donors.
- Steward and grow relationships with giving prospects at all levels for various strategic gift types.
- Work independently and be self-motivated in initiating contacts with potential donors.
- Work in a collegial manner with the broader Resource Development team in the creation and implementation of strategies for cultivation, solicitation, and closure of present and planned gifts.
- Support, steward and create relationships with donors, volunteers, staff, and Cabinets.
- Track and take action to resolve issues/challenges promptly, both internally and externally.
- Manage and coach internal and external stakeholders through presenting educational opportunities and designing marketing materials to promote planned and strategic giving goals and priorities.
- Provide verbal and non-verbal progress reports on assigned activities.
What you will bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Proven experience in major individual gift fundraising and in cultivating and soliciting prospects capable of five and six-figure gifts.
- Proven experience in identifying, cultivating and soliciting donors willing to make outright and deferred financial gifts.
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising – able to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle: (1) to initiate contacts with potential donors; (2) to develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers and Senior Leadership Team; (3) to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; (4) to make solicitations when appropriate; (5) to maintain stewardship touch points with donors.
- Ability to develop an understanding of the needs and interests of major donors.
- Knowledge of tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets and estates.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse client accounts.
- Solid relationship-building skills.
- Well-developed capability in Word, Excel, Andar, Power BI, and online research.
- Ability to maintain donor confidentiality in all activities at United Way of Calgary and Area and ensure compliance with privacy legislation.
United, we make the biggest difference
United Way is a not-for-profit organization that has played a vital role in our community for over 80 years. As a social impact organization, our mission is clear: we mobilize communities for the common purpose of working together to create lasting social change.
In addition to meaningful work where you can have an impact, United Way also offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, and flexible working hours.
Our Commitment to an Inclusive Culture
We are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone feels valued and respected, and that reflects the diverse community we serve. We welcome application from all qualified candidates, and encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds, experiences, styles and abilities to apply. If you require accommodation at any stage of the hiring process, please let us know.
Our Commitment to Health and Safety
At United Way, we are committed to protecting our team, our clients, and the community we serve by providing a safe and healthy workplace. Accordingly, successful candidates will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment by their start date or provide written proof of an approved exemption in accordance with Alberta Human Rights legislation.
Send cover letter with salary expectations, and resume (PDF) by 4pm on February 21, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Strategic Giving Specialist – Your Name.
To learn more about United Way of Calgary and Area, please visit our website at www.calgaryunitedway.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only those being considered will be contacted.