Wellspring Calgary is a charitable organization that supports, informs and empowers those diagnosed with cancer by helping them address the fear, isolation, disruption and practical problems cancer can bring to their lives. In operation since 2007 and an affiliate of the Wellspring Cancer Support Foundation, Wellspring Calgary provides a comprehensive range of programs, support, resources and programs so anyone living with cancer and the people who care about them can improve the quality of their lives. All programs and services are informed by evidence and offered free of charge and without referral in two centres and online.
Wellspring Calgary’s work is made possible through the generous donations of individuals, corporations, foundations and grassroots fundraisers, and with the efforts of committed volunteers, dedicated staff and skilled program leaders.
Our vision is that no one has to face cancer alone.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Resource Development and Communications leads a team with the mandate to elevate Wellspring’s mission through persuasive and inspiring communications and donor journey excellence. The Director will demonstrate Wellspring’s value proposition to our community of supporters through the strategic use of impact data, donor analytics, mission-based research, and member stories. Our primary stakeholders include members, donors, healthcare partners, media, Wellspring’s board of directors and the public.
As a member of the senior leadership team, the Director contributes to the organization’s strategic planning and operational execution of annual goals. Primary accountabilities include developing strategy for resource development and communications excellence, designing and implementing operational plans and preparing annual department budgets. In addition to having a track record of extraordinary leadership, the successful candidate will be a career expert in either Resource Development or Communications with strategic experience in the other.
The Director is a visible ambassador for the organization who builds relationships, designs and leads fundraising strategy, harnesses the power of data for strategy and decision making, promotes membership, engages media, and builds broad mission awareness. Supported by the Resource Development Manager, the Director will promote a culture of philanthropy across the organization and will be involved in the solicitation of lead gifts to the organization.
The opportunity to lead a high-performing team of resource development and communications professionals will appeal to individuals who deeply understand and respect the critical relationship between the functions. Are you ready to lead by influence and collaborate effectively to drive performance and results in service of Alberta’s leading cancer support organization? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
- Develop and implement integrated strategy for resource development and communications and inspire the team to align workplans to strategic goals
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values collaborative learning, shared success and respect for work-life balance
- Build authentic, meaningful relationships with key supporters by leading with trust, empathy and an unwavering commitment to Wellspring’s mission and values
- Prioritize efforts to create exceptional donor experiences throughout the donor life cycle through impactful communications and personalized connections
- Lead, inspire and manage a team of resource development, communications, data analysis professionals and contractors
- Advance Wellspring Calgary’s brand identity, broaden awareness of our programs and priorities, and increase the visibility of our programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Implement digital strategy with an emphasis on lead conversation and audience segmentation
- Act as a source of valued counsel to the organization on communicating brand promise
- Exceptional track record in developing, managing and implementing successful donor communications programs
- Innovative thinker and strategic actor with an ability to identify and implement what engages and motivates supporters
- Proven organizational, project management and analytical skills with the ability to deliver results in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to apply structured change management methodology and lead change management activities
- Experience in face-to-face donor solicitation, particularly with major and lead gift asks
- Skilled in management of volunteer committees of the board
- Committed to the value of data analytics as a driver of success
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field (Business, Communications, Marketing, Fundraising)
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience with a strategic focus in fundraising and communications
- At least 3 years at a senior management level in a not-for-profit environment, with demonstrated success in developing high-performing teams
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) or IABC or CPRS designation
- Seasoned media spokesperson with crisis communications experience, an excellent media trainer and a skillful presentation coach
- Professional demeanor including exceptional written and verbal communication skills, diplomacy, integrity and ethics
- A team player who values an environment of open communication and collaboration
- Proficiency with the Google and Microsoft suites, including MS Teams
- Experienced with CRM (Blackbaud products), digital marketing tools (Constant Contact) and web-based platforms such as WordPress, Zoom, Vimeo, etc.
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU:
- Wellspring Calgary is committed to being an inclusive organization – we welcome people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives, which reflect the community in which we work and live
- We aim to add value to our staff by investing in their career and personal growth journey
- We respect and trust our staff to deliver their key responsibilities while maintaining a work-life balance and see the hybrid working model (office and home) as a critical component of this
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note Wellspring Calgary requires the successful candidate to provide proof of full immunization against COVID-19 with a vaccination approved for use by the applicable government and/or public health agency as a condition of employment.