Sonshine Community Services is a charitable organization bringing hope and healing to families in need for more than 40 years. We envision a community where women and children live safely in healthy families.
We are a multi-services organization:
The Sonshine Centre is a residential shelter serving women and children fleeing family violence and abuse. The Centre is an integral part of Calgary’s collaborative response to domestic violence, housing women with and without children who are at a high risk for serious injury or fatality. With 24 units, the Sonshine Centre provides an eighteen month program that supports clients in navigating the practical and emotional complexities of leaving an abusive home, including six-month follow-up to support clients in their safe transition back into the community.
The Children’s Centre is the first licensed full-time children’s centre of its kind in Canada. It meets the unique needs of children who have experienced domestic violence or other forms of emotional trauma. The program recognizes that children exposed to family violence are more vulnerable than their peers to social, emotional, psychological and cognitive development problems. For those children, the focus is to prevent the cycle of violence from continuing by intervening early in the child’s development.
Sonshine Community Counselling exists to support individuals to build health within families and relationships. We offer ethical, client-centered and trustworthy counselling to community members, with the intent of removing barriers to access to professional counselling.
Sonshine Family Day Homes provides home-based childcare throughout the city of Calgary. Our home-based programs are inclusive, regulated, safe and caring.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Reporting to the Executive Director, Sonshine Community Services, the Resource Development & Communications Director is responsible for the development of immediate and long-term funding strategies to enable Sonshine to fulfill its mission. This position is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive Resource Development and Communication strategy for Sonshine Community Services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and manage the annual Resource Development budget and campaign schedule.
• Develop and manage annual, major, and planned giving programs.
• Under the leadership of the ED, and in collaboration with the board and members of the staff, develop and implement long range and annual fundraising plans in support of Sonshine’s vision and goals.
• Prepare well-researched appeals and organize funding presentations to maximize successful results.
• Ensure a meaningful stewardship program to fulfill the interest of individual donors.
• Develop engagement strategies that grow the Sonshine case for support and grow ambassadorship across internal and external stakeholders.
• Enhance the marketing and public relations strategies to grow reach to key stakeholders.
• Ensure consistent brand positioning and advance Sonshine’s reputation and awareness in the community.
• Oversee the acceptance of and relationships with third party fundraising events.
• Oversee the planning of potential special events.
• Share Sonshine’s story at community events and meetings.
• Contribute as an integral part of the Leadership Team. Provide ongoing leadership, training, and supervision for the Resource Development Associate & Volunteer Coordinator.
• Responsible for the department orientation, hiring, and training of Resource Development Staffs.
• Responsible for employee performance reviews.
• Promote Sonshine Community Services’ image by acting as an ambassador of the agency.
• Work with the Executive Director and Finance Manager to establish funding priorities and develop an integrated work plan to meet these priorities.
• Enhance the capacity of volunteers and staff to fundraise through coaching and skill development.
• Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
• University degree in a relevant discipline such as business, public relations, communications, or marketing.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in fund development, communications or related field, preferably in a not-for-profit environment.
• CFRE or equivalent certification preferred.
• Experience working in a faith-based organization or community an asset.
• Experience in developing and managing department budget.
• Experience developing, implementing and/ or operation of a successful capital campaign.
• Strong writing, presentation, and networking skills.
• In depth knowledge of social media platforms Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linked-In, etc.
• Demonstrated success in managing large-scale special events.
• Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills, excellent analytical, organizing, planning, time, and people management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the public, donors and sponsors, and ability to deal in sensitive issues and situations.
• Excellent oral presentation and written communication skills.
• Good Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and one or more funding data base programs is essential.
• Support, encourage, and cheer lead our organizational culture of philanthropy.
• Current Police Information Check and current Child Intervention Record Check (completed within the last 6 months)
• Must be able to provide 2 professional references
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 25, 2022.
Bridget Obafemi, HR Manager
Sonshine Community Services
Sonshine Community Services is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.