LEAD, ALUMNI RELATIONS
Bow Valley College is the largest and fastest growing Comprehensive Community College in Alberta. We have locations across southern Alberta helping over 174,000 learners each year. Our mission is to contribute to the vitality of communities and strength of the economy through innovative adult education programs and services which equip students for successful living, lifelong learning, and employment in a global knowledge-based environment.
We are currently accepting applications for the role of Lead, Alumni Relations.
Reporting to the Director, Fund Development and Alumni Engagement, this position will focus on driving our newly developed Alumni Engagement Strategy aimed at building loyalty and lifelong engagement with our alumni community. This role will develop, manage, and integrate a program that engages alumni, building meaningful relationships that result in lifelong learning, volunteerism, positive ambassadorship in the community and in long term, potential giving.
This position will also provide leadership and direct supervision to the Alumni Relations Officer.
Areas of responsibility will include:
- In partnership with the Director, Fund Development and Alumni Engagement, leads in the development, implementation and execution of a strategic plan for alumni engagement
- Coordinates the operations of the Alumni Relations Office, including program, volunteer relations, budget, and personnel
- Working in conjunction with the Director, develops and implements an institutional model for an alumni program suitable for the long-term development of potential donors, influencers and ambassadors for the College
- Collaborates with partners across Bow Valley College including Fund Development, Learner Services, Marketing and Communications, as well as our six Schools, to create and maintain pathways for current learners and alumni for engagement that advances the goals of College
- Develops a creative and dynamic alumni program that focuses on alumni in their first 10 years after graduation
- Promotes the Alumni community to current students
- Informs, develops and initiates an alumni engagement survey to understand the needs of Bow Valley College alumni in the community
- Collaborates with other members of the Fund Development and Alumni Engagement team to ensure that all areas are working in a cohesive environment towards the goals of the College
Alumni Engagement and Giving:
- Engages alumni in the life of the College through consistent and positive communication using electronic, print, and social media, exceptional customer service, and meaningful opportunities for volunteerism, service, personal and professional development, and events and programs
- Develops and manages the student and young alumni engagement plans to build life-long connection and facilitate continued engagement and support for the College
- Collaborates to explore and activate an effective alumni engagement platform that supports the objective of engaging alumni in meaningful volunteer opportunities and serving as a source for alumni talent and resources for students, faculty, and staff
- Plans and executes alumni engagement events
- Assists the fund development team with the identification of major donors via research of the Alumni community and identified through annual giving and alumni activities
- Manages an alumni prospect pipeline, using strategies for moving alumni to higher giving levels, including a variety of personal solicitations, electronic appeals, and multi approach direct mail
- Develops and maintains excellent working relationships with a range of alumni, donors, colleagues, and stakeholders and use these to facilitate efficient service delivery
- Develops meaningful opportunities to recognize alumni including a distinguished awards program.
Alumni Database Management and Reporting:
- Works with the Advancement Specialist in Fund Development to develop an active database of alumni.to ensure that the database for the alumni and other appropriate records are maintained accurately so that appropriate mailing lists and reports can be produced. Work on campaigns for address and contact detail updates
- Prepares monthly financial reports, appeal reports and analysis, reconciliation reports and other reports as required
- Ensures the collection and use of alumni data is in compliance with all relevant privacy legislation
- Tracks and analyzes progress toward alumni engagement/participation metrics and evaluate overall effectiveness to inform program development; prepare regular written progress and evaluation reports
- Exercises overall supervisory discretion of the Alumni Relations Officer
- Based on operational needs of the team, has overall authority to assign/reassign work of employees
- Reviews and ensures compliance with the professional, ethical, legal, and legislative requirements of the various functions and staff within the unit
- Develops, gains approval for, recruits and hires staff to meet the changing needs
- Responsible for overall supervision, evaluation, scheduling, performance management and motivation of staff to ensure optimal service is maintained
- Performance appraisals on direct reports
- Provides any required feedback on matters requiring coaching or discipline
- Responsible for the recruitment and hiring of direct reports subject to the necessary approvals according to Bow Valley College delegated signing authority; evaluates candidates and make recommendations on candidates to be hired; writes and reviews job descriptions, recruitment action forms; reviews postings and interview scripts; shortlists candidates, participates in interview panels
- Considers and approves vacation requests, professional development and overtime needs with consideration to budget parameters
- Maintenance of absence reports, vacation and other absence approvals
- Interprets and applies the terms of relevant collective agreements and represents management in responding to any grievances of employees within team
- Establishes key objectives for staff – ensure these objectives are achieved as outlined to a high quality standard and comply with college/unit policy and procedure
- Leads team meetings to ensure all team members understand their roles in specific projects/activities and how these activities align with the strategic direction of the unit, department, and College
- Develops, maintains, and instills in staff concepts and strategies for good customer service
- Establishes, maintains, and manages a customer service satisfaction model and culture within the unit.
- Diploma in a related field in combination with 3 – 5 years of progressive career experience
- Excellent organization skills, communication skills, including the ability to connect people with one another and, most importantly, to the College
- Ability to effectively articulate the goals and mission of the College to the alumni
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Proven ability to lead programs and supervisory experience
- Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising database experience preferred
- Experience in a marketing and/or communication setting with direct in community relations/ outreach as well as experience with social media and online platforms
- Must be able to think critically, analyze data, problem-solve, multitask and have a strong customer service orientation
- Strong computer skills including database work, MS Office, Google, Banner, e-Newsletter platform, and web/social media expertise
- Superior oral and written communication skills including copywriting and editorial skills
This is a continuous (Exempt) position. Please also note that all successful candidates will be required to provide government issued identification and proof of educational qualifications upon hire and may be required to provide an enhanced police information check.