Full time (10 month term position)
United Way of Calgary and Area is looking for aPhilanthropy Officer to join our Resource Development team. Reporting to the Team Lead, Philanthropy, the Philanthropy Officer is responsible for building effective partnerships with Major Donors, volunteers, and the business community to achieve fundraising goals. The Core Competency characteristics every member of United Way is expected to possess are Adaptable & Resilient, Relationship-Oriented, Collaborative, Results-Driven, Values-Driven, and Strategic Thinking.
What you will do:
- Manage relationships with Major Donors
- Support, steward and create relationships with volunteers, staff and the Major Donor Cabinet
- Track all communication with Corporate Account Managers to ensure excellent donor service
- Work in a collaborative manner with the Philanthropy team and Corporate Account Managers in the creation and implementation of strategies for cultivation, solicitation, and retention
- Achieve annual fundraising goals
- Monitor progress towards achieving campaign goals
- Build donors’ understanding of United Way’s vision and mission and the impact of their support
- Manage and monitor progress and results for all assigned donors
- Work independently and be self-motivated in initiating contacts with donors
- Assist in the long-range planning for the Individual Giving group
- Develop appropriate strategies for growth, retention and prospecting of all assigned donors
- Project Management
What you will bring:
Experience and Attributes:
- Proven experience in major individual gift fundraising, and in cultivating and soliciting prospects capable of five and six-figure gifts
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising – able to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle: (1) to initiate contacts with potential donors; (2) to develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers and Senior Leadership team; (3) to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; (4) to make solicitations when appropriate; (5) to maintain stewardship contacts with donors
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of Major Donors
- Knowledge of tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets and estates
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse client accounts
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving, research and analytical skills
- Solid relationship-building skills
- Well developed capability in Word, Excel, Andar, SharePoint and online research
- Post secondary education will be considered an asset
United, we make the biggest difference
United Way is a not-for-profit organization that has played a vital role in our community for over 80 years. As a social impact organization, our mission is clear: we mobilize communities for the common purpose of working together to create lasting social change.
In addition to meaningful work where you can have an impact, United Way also offers a compensation and benefits package, and flexible working hours.
Our Commitment to an Inclusive Culture
We are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone feels valued and respected, and that reflects the diversity community we serve. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and with a wide range of abilities.
Send cover letter with salary expectations, and resume (PDF) by 4pm on July 9, 2021 to h r @ c al g a r yu n i t e d w a y. o r g
Subject Line: Philanthropy Officer, Contract – Your Name.
To learn more about United Way of Calgary and Area, please visit our website at www.calgaryunitedway.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only those being considered will be contacted.