Chief Development Officer
North York General Foundation (NYGF) is seeking an accomplished leader and fundraiser as its new Chief Development Officer (CDO) to transform our major and planned giving program and be a key partner in developing our new strategic plan. NYGF is gearing up for a historic period of growth including investment in teams across the organization. In this newly created role, the CDO will the lead and support planning and readiness as the Foundation looks towards the next mega campaign to support a $1B capital expansion.
Reporting to the Foundation President and Chief Executive Officer, the CDO will be a vital member of the management team contributing to the organization’s strategies, plans, and successes, as well as driving the day-to-day philanthropy initiatives of the Foundation. An accomplished fundraiser who is results oriented, growth minded, and with exceptional business and operational experience in comprehensive revenue programming, the successful candidate will balance strategy development with a commitment to execute and deliver.
With a passion for healthcare philanthropy and deep relationship acumen, the CDO will have a track record of personally securing gifts at the 7-figure level and above and will be a trusted and supportive partner to the President and Chief Executive Officer and Board of Governors, bringing best in class strategic philanthropic experience and demonstrated success to the Foundation.
The CDO will build and lead a high performing philanthropy team to maximize revenue and engagement. A consummate team player, collaborator, and a smart risk taker with outstanding communication skills, the CDO will possess high emotional intelligence enabling the best conditions for strong relationships and trust within the Foundation and Hospital family, as well as donors and leadership volunteers.
This is an exciting time to join NYGF as they drive towards the future, build their brand, and invest in volunteer leadership who are committed to changing the face of fundraising in community hospitals. North York General Hospital is one of Newsweek’s top 5 hospitals in Canada and among the top 100 globally.
North York General Hospital was named on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022, based on an independent survey of over 10,000 Canadian employees working for companies employing at least 500 people in their Canadian operations.
NYGF is working within a hybrid model with staff expected in the office a minimum of 3 days per week.
ABOUT NORTH YORK GENERAL HOSPITAL
North York General Hospital (NYGH), affiliated with the University of Toronto, is one of Canada’s leading community academic hospitals. We offer our culturally diverse community a wide range of acute care, ambulatory, and long-term care services across multiple sites. Through partnerships, collaboration, and academic endeavours, we seek to set new standards for patient- and family-centred care. Working together with our patients and their families, we are making a world of difference.
We provide an exceptional care experience for our patients and their families and have proudly served our diverse communities in North Toronto, and beyond, since 1968.
The hospital partners with 36 different academic institutions, including the University of Toronto, to prepare future physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals to work in interprofessional teams, providing essential care in a community hospital setting. NYGH programs are the training site for four core clerkship programs, and we provide a site for core rotations to 22 different University of Toronto Residency Programs. Over 300 North York General physicians have faculty appointments at the University of Toronto. Each year, 1,200 nursing students come here to learn and develop their clinical skills.
Our staff, physicians, and volunteers have a history of transforming health care to better serve our patients. We are leaders who adopt the most innovative health information technology, strategists who carefully chart patient flow and find ways to reduce wait times, and visionaries who dream of, and work towards, the ideal patient experience. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest care. We put our patients first in everything we do.
Areas of Care
North York General Hospital provides a wide range of acute care, ambulatory and long-term care services at multiple sites. Our goal is to provide an exceptional care experience for our patients and their families. Everyone’s role at our hospital contributes to our shared purpose of providing patient- and family-centred care.
- Cancer Care
- Family Medicine
- Laboratory Medicine
- Medical Imaging
- Mental Health
- Emergency Care
- Maternal, Newborn and Paediatric Care
- Medicine and Elder Care
- Palliative Care
Our team provides care with respect, integrity, excellence, and compassion.
Respect: We embrace the strength in our diversity and treat everyone with respect and dignity.
Integrity: Every day, we act in a professional and ethical manner.
Excellence: We strive to achieve better outcomes in everything we do, collaborating with patients, families, and partners.
Compassion: We provide an exceptional care experience to our patients and their families with empathy, sensitivity and understanding.
ABOUT NORTH YORK GENERAL FOUNDATION
Our mission is to raise and steward funds that enable North York General to deliver exceptional health care to our diverse communities.
Exceptional care requires exceptional support. At North York General Foundation, we know this to be true, which is why we are grateful to every one of our supporters who understand the central role that North York General plays in caring for our community.
The Foundation supports our hospital’s most urgent needs, including equipment replacement and upgrades, capital projects, and funding our applied research institute and educational awards. We look beyond the needs of the day to day and seek to invest in programs and infrastructure that will transform how our hospital delivers care and how this improved care can be replicated and scaled across Canada.
Thanks to the support of our generous community, the hospital has achieved substantial capital growth across the hospital sites, including:
- New outpatient clinics have opened to better meet the needs of our diverse and growing community, including Phillips House and Maddie’s Healing Garden for child and adolescent mental health, which is home to one of the largest hospital-based eating disorder programs in southern Ontario.
- Specialty Care Clinic that houses our Total Joint Assessment Centre, Hand Therapy Clinic and Minor Procedures Clinic.
- The Karen, Heather & Lynn Steinberg Breast Centre. The breast cancer care program once again received full accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), administered by the American College of Surgeons. After the initial accreditation in 2016, it remains the only accredited breast cancer program in Canada.
- Last year, the new Baruch/Weisz Cancer Centre, which houses the Anne Tanenbaum Chemotherapy Clinic and BMO Oncology Assessment and Support Services opened. Patients in our community facing the uncertainty of a life-changing cancer diagnosis can now get the care they need, close to home and all in one location.
- In November 2020, the Steinberg Family Paediatric Centre officially opened. This is a hospital within a hospital designed specifically for children — newborns up to age 18. It is a place of comfort and healing for the children and grandchildren of this community.
COVID-19: Responding to Community Needs During the Pandemic
The Foundation’s COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund was one of the first launched at a hospital in the Greater Toronto Area and we are proud to have had the first COVID-19 assessment centre in the city to be onsite and operational.
NYGF has raised over $3.1M in philanthropic donations to help support pandemic and post-pandemic planning and have received over 1.5M pieces of personal protective equipment donated by generous individuals and corporations. This last year has been a trying time for our community — emotionally, physically, and mentally. North York General has remained at the forefront of patient care, enhanced by philanthropic support.
For more information about North York General Hospital and its Foundation, please visit:
- North York General Hospital
- North York General Foundation
- Foundation Board of Governors
- Covid-19 Response
- Annual Reports and Financial Statements
- Ways to Donate
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy & Leadership
- Advance the mission, vision, and values of the Foundation in partnership with the Foundation President and CEO and senior colleagues.
- Work in partnership with the President and CEO to lead the Foundation’s next strategic planning exercise.
- Participate in short- and long-term planning as a member of the Foundation’s management team.
- Grow leadership within the volunteer base; by assisting the Present and CEO and Board in identifying and cultivating prospective leadership volunteer candidates for Board and committee roles.
- Build, develop, and maintain effective and mutually beneficial partnerships with key stakeholders within North York General Hospital and the Foundation to facilitate ongoing awareness and support to raise funds.
- Support key Foundation volunteers and NYGH senior staff and physicians to develop and build linkages between the Foundation’s major gifts prospects and the Hospital.
- Work in partnership with the President and CEO on campaign planning.
- Support and contribute to a positive organizational culture.
Major & Planned Giving
- Maintain accountability for the major and planned giving business plans and revenue, in alignment with the Foundation’s strategic plans.
- Lead and manage the major and planned giving budget process, working with the CFO to ensure accurate forecasting and monitoring.
- Build and manage personal portfolio of 50-75 major gift prospects/donors in order to achieve personal revenue targets.
- Support the President and CEO in all aspects of their fundraising activities.
- Engage and support the Board of Governors in their personal fundraising efforts, ensuring that strengths and connections are leveraged.
- Help build campaign leadership for next cabinet.
- Build and lead the Major and Planned Giving team, supporting their efforts to achieve annual revenue targets and key performance indicators by providing strategic support, problem-solving, and the resources needed to succeed.
- Lead the ongoing growth of the donor pipeline in a methodical and strategic manner, supported by the prospect research team.
- Provide mentorship, guidance, encouragement, and clarity to enable the personal growth potential and impact of team members.
- Attract, retain, and engage the hearts and minds of the NYGH Foundation team.
- Oversee performance management process within the Major and Planned Giving team.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Progressive leadership in philanthropy, ideally within a hospital, education, or other similarly complex setting.
- Proven track record securing significant major gifts from individual donors with deep expertise in all aspects of major gift fundraising, including pipeline development, cultivation and solicitation of gifts at the seven-figure level and above.
- Demonstrated ability to align strategic and philanthropic plans to promote, support and meet the revenue deliverables.
- Strategic understanding of the competitive nature of the high profile, high net worth, philanthropic and/or non-profit marketplace, and ability to stand out within it.
- Business planning and budgeting acumen.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to constructively contribute to discussions and build rapport at all levels of the Foundation and Hospital, from front line staff to the Board of Governors.
- Strong relationship builder who works well in a collaborative environment with diverse groups including donors, Foundation and Hospital staff, committees, external strategic counsel, and Hospital and Foundation Governors.
- Demonstrated ability to build donor relations plans across all categories of giving with success creating strategies that convert donors to higher levels of giving.
- Ability to bring people and teams together, create engagement, alignment, and leverage their collective strengths to deliver on behalf of the organization.
- Demonstrated success in building and retaining a ‘best in class’ and high performing team by managing, evaluating, and inspiring staff.
- Experience recruiting, and supporting senior volunteers directly involved in major gift cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Proficiency with donor databases and systems. Experience with Raiser’s Edge is considered an asset.
- Passion for healthcare philanthropy, North York General Hospital, and its leadership role in the Greater Toronto Area.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of North York
General Foundation. For more information about this Foundation leadership opportunity, please
contact Ellie Rusonik, Vice President, KCI Search + Talent by email at
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send
resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by February 28, 2022.
The salary range for this position is $160,000 – $190,000.
At North York General Foundation, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible
environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community
in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General Foundation is committed to
providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we
will work with you to meet your needs.
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of all NYGF staff except for those with an
approved medical or human rights exemption.