Director of Development
DATE: September 24,2021
LOCATION: Calgary, AB
CLOSING DATE: October 15, 2021
JOB NUMBER: OOS001
Why you should join Glenbow: Be there. Spark big ideas. Take pride. Together is better. We are present. We listen. We step up. We show up. We meet people where they are. We earn trust by being authentic and dependable. We are here for each other and we are here for our community. We empower our visitors and ourselves by encouraging curiosity and welcoming great questions. We imagine more possibilities and we create space for inspiration. We believe that creativity makes our world better. Remarkable things happen here because we work hard and we are always learning. We take time to reflect and improve on what has come before. We respect the knowledge and experience of others. We approach every challenge with integrity and humility. Our personal passion fuels our high standards. We welcome all perspectives. What we do is better when more diverse voices are heard. We champion a collaborative environment where people feel respected, valued and connected. We have greater impact when we work as a team.
Reporting to the Vice President, Advancement, the Director of Development is accountable for the creation and implementation of a strategic fundraising program including annual appeals, major and principal giving, corporate and individual giving and grants. Glenbow is in the midst of a transformational fundraising campaign that will significantly impact the museum’s physical space and programming. The Director will play a critical role in the campaign effort through increasing the pipeline of major donor prospects, identifying gift opportunities and securing and stewarding major and principal gifts. Key accountabilities for the Director include developing strategic plans, and the formation of business processes to support the needs of development. This position manages the strategic objectives of direct reports (Membership and Individual Giving Officer, Development Coordinator), including annual goal setting and regular performance reviews and also engages volunteers in the fundraising efforts of the team. The position will ensure compliance with all relevant policies and procedures. Responsibilities The Director’s primary purpose is to secure major and principal gifts to advance Glenbow’s aspiration to become one of the most impressive museum programs in Canada.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement plans and strategies to enhance the development program and to generate consistent and significant increases to the funds generated;
- Implement a comprehensive fundraising plan that incorporates annual giving, major and principal gifts, specialized campaigns and planned giving;
- Develop and implement proposals for strategic fundraising priorities and use in cultivating and soliciting identified project-based prospects;
- Build a culture of philanthropy by developing, building and maintaining a strong team in development and similarly relationships with extended Glenbow team members and departments – this is essential for this position;
- Create communications materials including customized funding proposals/packages, agreement documents, briefing notes, presentations and other fund-raising materials as required;
- Provide direction and leadership to direct reports to ensure goals are met on schedule;
- Conduct regular and ad hoc review meetings with direct reporting staff as well as formal annual evaluations;
- Ensure that all staff within their portfolios are well managed and all HR requirements are met;
- Ensures own actions and those of staff reflect sensitivity to the needs and interest of the museum and its development objectives;
Skills & Requirements
- A University degree is required; preferably in business, arts, communications or other related field with a minimum of 5 years directly related business development or fundraising experience.
- Previous experience working within the non-profit sector; experience in arts and culture is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in successful major gift solicitation ($25,000+) is required.
- Proven leadership ability and experience recruiting, training and motivating others.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and listening skills.
- Ability produce compelling development communication tools including cases for support, gift proposals, presentations and collateral materials.
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Sound judgment and decision-making capabilities.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects or priorities simultaneously with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to combine people and resources in a manner that will achieve objectives within established limits.
- Ability to innovate and problem solve.
- Demonstrated respect for confidentiality and strong sense of professional ethics.
Please apply with cover letter and resume at email@example.com
Stay connected to us: Visit our Community Access At Glenbow to see our commitment to expand the reach and impact of art and culture in our community. Notice on hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic: Glenbow is committed to a safe and healthy hiring process for all positions during this period of uncertainty. Interviews may be conducted via videoconference to ensure social distancing as long as such measures are advisable by health officials. Glenbow will discuss options will all prospective employees.